Monday 18 March 2013

Ancient VVisdom - Deathlike 12"

Keeping in tone with my latest post about Limb, here is yet another "They are back". This is definitely a bit more exciting though, ever since I first heard "Severed VVays" I've been hooked on Ancient VVisdom. A while ago rumours started circulating that the band were working on a new album, and with a live performance of "Last Man on Earth" these rumours gained a bit more momentum. Of course I kept my eyes and ears out for any news, and sure enough Prosthetic Records have now released their brand spanking new album; Deathlike.
The album brings 12 new Ancient VVisdom tracks that continue in the twisted acoustic style you have surely come to love. I really haven't had the chance to listen to this just as much as I should have by now, but from the good few times I've played it I've definitely enjoyed it. The highlight for me is definitely "Last Man on Earth", which I mentioned just before. It really gives the feeling of being totally alone on a deserted plain, it's awesome.

This has been released on both CD and vinyl, but I really had to opt for the record. I'm not sure how many of these were produced in total, but I do know the first 90 ordered came on clear with a black swirl. Lucky for me I ordered quickly and was able to receive one of these versions. I assume the others are just on black, but don't hold me to it.
Inside the sleeve is an insert containing some altered pictures of the band. You can probably just about make out the ribs and wings on Michael and Justin, but the X-ray style teeth on Nathan Opposition is probably a bit harder to spot. Above the group is a rather fitting quote from Edgar Allen Poe; "The boundaries between life and death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends and where the other begins?".

This is one of the few albums where a lyrics sheet is less than needed, what with such clean vocals and all. It's always nice to have though.
Even though I've let it down by not listening to it as much as I'd have liked to, it is definitely a great album. Here's hoping AVV will continue for years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment