Tuesday 18 September 2012

Pulling Teeth - Witches Sabbath IV 7"

I've loved Pulling Teeth for quite a while now, and I've decided it's time to start collecting more of their records, starting with their Witches Sabbath series. These were a series of EPs released on various record labels consisting of covers of songs influential to the band. Most, if not all, were only available as freebies when purchasing other items. This one was originally only available with the 2nd press of the Vicious Skin CD.
The first of these I've managed to acquire is number IV. Luckily it was selling on trusty Discogs for pretty cheap when I'd decided I wanted to start getting these EPs.
This time around Pulling Teeth cover "Teenage Lobotomy" by the Ramones. Of course it's a great cover, PT seemed to be able to pull off any style flawlessly. I really wish the band hadn't dissolved.
Each record in this series is a one sided, reverse grooved 7" on black vinyl. It's interesting being reverse grooved, they play from the outside in. I'm pretty sure the only other reverse grooved record I've got before this is the Blind To Faith 12". Each record is also only produced in quantities of 300, although they are un-numbered.
The artwork for each of these comes from the book, Compendium Maleficarum by Francesco Maria Guazzo all the way back in 1608. This looks like quite an interesting book, which is in fact completely available online, albeit in Latin which makes it a tad difficult to read.
I've actually already managed to pick up another one from the series, so I'll be posting about that one soon. Some are proving to be more difficult to get than others, but hopefully it won't take me too long to get the whole set.

2 comments:

  1. I love Pulling Teeth as well, but somehow haven't ever listened to any of the Witches Sabbath 7"s. I may have to track them down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd recommend it, PT do some great covers on these

      Delete