Thursday 22 December 2011

Gehenna - The War Of The Sons Of Light And The Suns Of Darkness 12"

Have you ever had a band that you didn't like when you first heard them, but later grew to love? For me, Gehenna fits this description perfectly.


Before I even started buying vinyl, I found a little label called A389 records. At the time I knew nothing about them, but I saw they were offering a special deal on all of their digital downloads. It was pretty cheap, so I decided to give it a try. One of the albums included was this album right here. I had not heard of Gehenna at the time, and was not adequately prepared for the audial assault that emerged from my speakers. For some stupid reason I decided it was just too much, and filed it under the 'dislike' section in my mental music library. However, after subsequent listens it began to grow on me. As I have grown in my vvisdom, I now love this album, as well as pretty much anything this band releases.


Anyway, on to the actual record. This is the first pressing of the repress (if that makes sense) released by A389. It encompasses Gehenna's early releases and demos, as well as a couple of previously unreleased tracks.
It is printed on a swirl of grey and red vinyl. Personally, I think pure red would have looked more slick, but the end result still looks pretty great.

The record comes in a gatefold cover, which I know is disliked by some, but I think they are neat. It features some amazing artwork inside, as well as the lyrics to the songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment